Earlier this year here on the blog of Hotel Yaramar we shared with you some interesting facts about Spain and Andalusia and among them we included one about Malaga Airport.
On that post we said that the IATA code of our airport is “AGP” which is quite unusual as this code tends to be related to the name of the city.
In our opinion airports are fascinating places as they receive millions of people from around the world every year. They are also very important to the industry of tourism so we consider ourselves very fortunate for having such a fantastic airport so close.
For all these reasons and because we love flying this week we would like to share with you some more interesting facts about Malaga airport.
- If we consider air traffic volume Malaga Airport is 4th in the rank of Spanish airports.
- It is the main entrance of tourists who come to visit Costa del Sol or other parts of Andalusia. 85% of people who visit Andalusia land in Malaga.
- More than 60 airlines operate in this airport. They connect Malaga with other Spanish and European destinations, as well as more distant places such as the Middle East or North America.
- In 2011 its name got changed from “Malaga Airport” to “Malaga-Costa del Sol Airport”. Due to this fact a proposal regarding a change of its IATA code was submitted. If agreed the new code will be « SOL » instead of « AGP ».
- Terminal 1 is the oldest. This was the one which received the massive amount of tourists who came to Costa del Sol in the 60s due to the tourism boom. Nowadays is the least used terminal.
- Terminal 2 is from the early 90s, it was designed by the famous Spanish architect Ricardo Bofill and it is named after the most famous artist from Malaga of all times: Pablo Ruiz Picasso.
- Due to the massive volume of air traffic a new terminal got built. This is terminal 3 and it was inaugurated in 2010 by the then King and Queen of Spain. Apart from the terminal also a new runway was created. This has improved air traffic considerably.
- After getting bigger Malaga-Costa del Sol Airport has received more than 35 million passengers per year!… Very impressive!!
Is Malaga among your possible summer holiday destinations? Have you planned to come soon to Hotel Yaramar, your hotel in Fuengirola, to be one of the many passengers who land in Malaga with a smile on their faces?
We hope you do as we are definitely ready to give you the warm welcoming you all deserve!
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.