It is winter and it is a bit chillier than the rest of the year, though here on Costa del Sol we still have a mild weather considering the low temperatures other parts of Spain, Europe and the world have. We, as locals, know we cannot really complain and are aware of how lucky we are, though when the temperatures decrease a little bit we really do fancy a tasty and warm wintery dish.
A very typical wintery dish in Malaga is migas (which literally means “crumbs”). In fact the town of Torrox (on Eastern Costa del Sol ) is famous for its migas recipe and because there every year they celebrate what is known as “The Migas Festival”.
Migas is one of the most popular dishes of the Andalusian cuisine and also a very traditional country dish as in the old times it was eaten by farm labourers.
Migas are quite caloric and high in carbohydrates though this makes it a perfect dish if we need lots of energy and have to fight against low temperatures.
We would like to share with you one of the easiest recipes available, as there are different versions depending on the chef and the region:
INGREDIENTS (4 SERVINGS)
– 1 big tablespoon of olive oil
– A big loaf of French bread ( if it has at least 1 day and it is a bit hard much better)
– 100 grams of chorizo cut in cubes
– 100 grams of pancetta cut in cubes
– 4 cloves of garlic
- Break the bread into crumbs and put them in a big bowl.
- Pour a quarter of a glass of water over the crumbs to make them moist. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let it rest over night.
- When you are ready to start your cooking pour the olive oil in a big pan and add the cloves of garlic with the skin on. When they are starting to look golden take them out.
- Cook the pancetta and chorizo until golden in that same pan
- Add the crumbs and stir for about 15 minutes.
- Put the garlic back in the pan and keep on stirring until the crumbs look golden brown.
If where you live at the moment is rainy and cold we think the best you could do to cheer up is to start preparing your next holiday with us at Hotel Yaramar, your hotel in Fuengirola, and preparing a tasty dish of migas… You will surely feel great afterwards!
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.