Spring has arrived and tomorrow April will be here. This April 2014 it will be the 41st anniversary of Picasso’s death, so this week we would like to talk about the greatest artist that Costa del Sol has ever had.
We are about to tell you a few interesting things about Picasso you might not know:
- Although he was known as Pablo when he was christened he received a much longer name: Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Crispiniano de la Santísima Trinidad.
- As he was Spanish he had 2 surnames: Ruiz Picasso. As an artist he prefered to get rid of his father’s surname and use his mother’s as it was more unique.
- Picasso is a surname of Italian origin as his great grandfather was from Genoa.
- Although he came from a bourgeois family he stated he was a communist and a pacifist.
- His father worked as a painting teacher in Malaga.
- His family left Malaga when he was 10.
- He died in Mougins, France, on the 8th of April 1973 when he was 91.
- Apart from painting he also did engraving, pottery, sculpture and even costumes for plays.
- 8 women were very important in his life and all of them appeared in his paintings. He married twice and had 4 children.
- He was a big bullfighting fan.
- His first painting was about bullfighting and he did it when he was just 8. He always had a special bond with it and he never dared to sell it.
- He was a very active artist and he created more than two thousand works which are spread all over the world.
- In 1911 he was questioned about the theft of Mona Lisa from the Louvre.
- Picasso is in fact the most stolen and most faked artist ever.
Did you know any of these? Did you find them interesting? If you liked this blog entry, you love Costa del Sol, are interested in Spanish culture and are planning to visit Hotel Yaramar soon we recommend you not to miss the Spanish culture activity organised by Hotel Yaramar, your hotel in Fuengirola, every Thursday at Bar Churchill from 10:00 to 10:30 A.M.
See you there!