At the Yaramar we do love languages. Most of us speak quite good English and many of you are learning Spanish, so it is always good fun to have a chat and a laugh together.
As we are aware you love Spain, its language and culture, each Thursday at 10:00 A.M. we meet at our Churchill Bar and have a lovely time talking and exchanging impressions.
Sometimes we talk about Spanish culture in general, some weeks it is all about Costa del Sol and some other we have focused mainly in the language.
Both English and Spanish are very “rich” languages and the following 12 popular sayings are good proof of it.
Here you have some of our most common sayings together with their literal translation into English and also their English equivalent:
- 7 vidas tiene el gato. = Cats have 7 lives – Cats have 9 lives.
- Estar en el séptimo cielo. = To be on the 7th heaven – To be on cloud number 9.
- Hasta el 40 de mayo no te quites el sayo. = Till the 40th of May do not take your coat off – Never cast a clout till May be out.
- Donde hay patrón no manda marinero. = When there is a chief a sailor does not give orders – What the boss says goes.
- ¡El mundo es un pañuelo! = The world is a handkerchief – It’s a small world!
- En casa del herrero cuchillo de palo. = In the house of a blacksmith, wooden knives – The shoemarker’s son always goes barefoot.
- Hacer de tripas corazón. = To make vowels into heart – What can’t be cured must be endured.
- Hierba mala nunca muere. = Weed never dies – The devil looks after his own.
- Mucho ruido y pocas nueces. = A lot of noise and not many walnuts – All mouth and no trousers.
- A quien madruga dios le ayuda. = God helps those who get up early –The early bird catches the worm.
- Nunca es tarde si la dicha es buena. = It is never late if the joy is good – Better late than never.
- El que se fue a Sevilla perdió su silla. = If you go to Sevilla you lose your chair – If you leave your place, you lose it.
We hope you liked this week’s post and see you on Thursdays at 10:00 A.M at Hotel Yaramar’s Churchill Bar!